1st Practice with Tara's Design (Me as Makeup Artist)

Today was my first try-out of Tara's makeup design. Her character has been accused of killing the queen and is dreadfully distraught following this event as she was a loyal lady in waiting. Tara included a pale base to reflect the Elizabethan trend, silver as a highlight to make the skin very dewy as well as being ghost like and the eyes are red to reflect sadness and anger with a blood tear drop to finish the look.


1st stages of the makeup design
To begin this attempt, I mixed the Illamasqua satin primer with Illamasqua Skin Base in 1 and Kryolan Ultrafoundation in Ivory to create a pale complexion that isn't completely white. I concealed by mixing D3 Camouflage Concealer with the skin base under the eyes and on any blemishes. Following the base, I used a combination of the Liquid Metal colours Surge and Phenomena to create Tara's desired finish for her glowing skin. I added this colour to the tops and sides of her cheekbones, on the brow bone, nose, cupids bow and forehead. The next step was the eyes. I started by applying LC007 and LC008 from the Kryolan Lip Rouge palette all over her eyes and above the crease to create a base. I blended the base out to have very soft and rounded edges. I then applied the deep red shade from the Kryolan V2 palette just on the lid and packed on lots to create an opaque layer. Again, I blended the powder to keep the soft finish that has a strong intensity of colour. We created the product to produce the tear with the red eyeshadow and water and painted it on with a thin brush. I painted Tara's lip with the Skin Base in 1 and dabbed silver into the middle. The eyebrows were filled in with a grey shadow and I brushed the silver liquid metal colour on the ends to have them defined but more subtlely and less contemporary (the silver is almost to blend in the eyebrows with the rest of the silverly dewy skin). Finally, I painted my hand with the bright red Supracolour and pressed the colour onto her neck to resemble someone grabbing her neck.

The rest of the process

I am pleased with the base, eyes and neck for my first attempt. I feel the base is full coverage with a glowy base - which Tara asked. The silver highlight took me a while to postion correctly and have the right density on her face. As I have now had a practice, hopefully my next attempt will be much quicker as I will be confident in my placement and application. Tara was happy with the softness of the blending on her eyes as it was much like her trials. Again, it took me some time to get the right rounded shape that she desired. I would powder after applying the lipstick base on the eyes to reduce creasing that was apparent in the photos at the end. The lips were neat and have a subtle sheen which works well as it does not distract from the rest of the look but is in-keeping. 


Close-ups!
Following this attempt, I would like to improve the tear drop. As it was my first time using the combination of water and powder I was not sure what consistency we needed it to be to be runny enough to drip. I had trouble as when I put too much water the colour was too transulcent and if there was not enough water I had to paint the tear on and it did not look realistic. In our next trial, I will use more water than I did in the images to let it fall naturally and paint in any faintness. Also, as it was my first go it took me over the hour and ten minutes limit so I will speed up the process now I know what I'm doing!


Trying some angles and poses for the final photoshoot

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top