First Week at Southampton Solent University

Illamasqua Seminar  23rd September 2015 

Spob (Sharon) O'Brian and Helen Roche visited the university to give us an insight on Illamasqua as a company, the make-up industry and their personal experiences and careers. Both Spod's and Helen's careers were inspiring and the one main piece of information that stuck out for me was 'personality is everything'. As Spod discussed her career, varying between a freelance make-up artist and head of professional development at Illamasqua, her passion for everything that she has achieved and her current projects demonstrated to me how determined you must be to succeed. Specifically, Spob reminded me of my passion for film and television make-up as she listed her previous jobs varying from Inception to the new James Bond. It was a new outlook on my career options as Spob manages to be hands on within the make-up world whilst working for a famous make-up brand in the head office - both of those aspects appeal to me strongly as professional options.

Illamasqua Workshop   23rd September 2015

Following the seminar, Helen and Spob led a make-up workshop demonstrating a look they had created on 19th of September for Sorapol. Luckily enough I was picked to be a model! It was a great experience to, for the first time, have my make-up applied professionally and understand how it feels for the client. As they proceeded with the workshop, they explained how they achieved the final look from the brief to seconds before the runway. The emphasis was placed on research when working to a brief. We were also warned of last minute changes, models' emotional states and not having certain products and producing your own on the day. Being able to question them and hear their professional stories (and their mistakes!) was an eye-opener and will be a positive learning experience I will reflect on throughout my future career. 

Left: Being a model for Spob. Top Middle + Right: Sorapol S/S Catwalk and Spob's application on me. Bottom: Selfie with the artists! 
Kryolan/Charles Fox Workshop  24th September 2015

Members from Charles Fox visited our groups for a live demonstration of a beauty look. The make-up artist Gemma gave some extremely helpful pointers for working on a client that will be the basis of working with my peers and future models. For example: 

  • Personal space for the client is extremely important
  • When doing eye make-up, raise the eyebrow with your finger
  • When applying eyeliner, if their eyes start to water you should offer the client the option for them to complete it themselves
  • Throughout the course, we should use varied models for our portfolio


Gemma's final beauty look
After completing the induction week feel, I feel extremely positive about starting the course. The 3 events I have described above were the most useful and engaging and really opened my eyes to what the Make-up and Hair Design course and my future career will entail. However, I did not necessarily enjoy the Head in the Bag activity as I was not sure where to go with it and how relevant it was to the course. Although, the blogging induction was very informative and has aided me in starting this page. Overall, this induction week and get me ready and raring to go!


Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top